Social media is a vital part of any marketing strategy. More than half the world’s population—3.96 billion people—use it, and according to Statista, that number is expected to climb to 4.41 billion by 2025. It’s hard to achieve that kind of reach on any other platform.
Businesses that employ social media for marketing will gain access to billions of active users. Not only that, but with social media, you can target specific customer demographics instead of advertising to a giant pool of people, only some of whom may be interested in your product.
Though you can run targeted advertisements on social media, not all platforms will work well for every business. To help you, we compiled stats on different demographics (such as age, gender, income, and more) for each social media platform. This knowledge will help you more effectively create channel-specific content, improve your ad targeting, and sell more products and services.
General social media statistics
Social media is growing in popularity year after year. Understanding the foundational metrics is critical to executing a successful strategy.
- Around seven in ten U.S. adults use social media to connect with others, get the latest news, share information, and entertain themselves
- An estimated 78% of women in the United States use social media versus 65% of men
- Social media users are now spending an average of 2 hours and 24 minutes per day multi-networking across an average of eight social networks and messaging apps
- YouTube and Facebook are the two most popular social media platforms, with 73% and 69% of adults in the United States using them, respectively
- Roughly 3.46 billion people use mobile devices for social media
- Approximately 90% of adults ages 18–29 use at least one social media site, compared to 82% of adults between the ages of 30–49
The report also covered global usage changes over the past 12 months. This report documented a major milestone in humanity; over half of the world’s population now uses social media.
Worldwide social media users surged by more than 10% between July 2019 and July 2020; an average of over 1 million people used social media for the first time every single day over the 12-month period.
In addition, more than 376 million new users have joined social media during that period, which translates to almost 12 new users every second. Wow.
What are the fastest growing social media networks?
In their interactive report “The Rise of Social Media,” Our World In Data showed that Facebook and Youtube are the fastest growing social media networks in the world. As a social media marketer, keeping tabs on growth and abandonment is necessary to align your strategy with trends.
What are the leading social platforms?
How are consumers interacting with brands on social media?
Global WebIndex’s social media 2019 report (see image below) revealed that, on average, 27% of global social media users discover new products through social media ads and 43% research products online via their social networks. The data also showed that younger demographics are consistently more likely to rely on social media for new product discovery and research than older groups.
Businesses can use both paid and organic social media strategies to engage with new potential customers, though paid advertisements will deliver a significantly greater reach.
Social media demographics breakdown by platform
Social media has transformed marketing. Though the platforms differ by popularity and engagement, the research proves their overall popularity is relentlessly increasing worldwide. It’s good to stay informed so you can know your audience and better plan your cross channel targeting strategies.
Use the list below to find the best channels for your brand:
- Facebook demographics
- Instagram demographics
- Twitter demographics
- LinkedIn demographics
- Pinterest demographics
- Snapchat demographics
- YouTube demographics
- TikTok demographics
- Reddit demographics
After 16 years, Facebook has remained one of the most highly utilized social media platforms. According to Pew Research, 74% of U.S. adults use Facebook daily.
It’s no surprise that 95.1% of users are checking in on their mobile devices; the app’s addictive feed is the perfect antidote to boredom anywhere, any place, at any time.
Sprout Social used Pew Research’s findings to create an infographic outlining Facebook’s usage among key demographics.
Facebook age and gender demographics
Statista also conducted their own research and found some interesting tidbits. As of July 2020:
- Almost 10% of global active Facebook users were women between the ages of 18 and 24 years
- Male users between the ages of 25 and 34 years constituted the biggest group of Facebook users
- Facebook skews female, with nearly three-quarters of U.S. women using the platform versus 63% of men
Here are key age demographics for U.S. Facebook users:
- 76% of 18–24-year-olds use Facebook
- 84% of 25–29-year-olds use Facebook
- 79% of 30–49-year-olds use Facebook
- 68% of 50–64-year-olds use Facebook
- 46% of individuals ages 65 and older use Facebook
Facebook income demographics
According to Statista’s Facebook usage reach in the U.S. by household income data:
- 85% of households earning less than $30,000 have members who use Facebook
- 88% of households earning between $30,000-$59,999 have members who use Facebook
- 81% of households earning between $60,000-$69,999 have members who use Facebook
- 88% of households earning between $70,000-$79,999 have members who use Facebook
- 86% of households earning between $80,000-$100,000 have members who use Facebook
- 86% of households earning over $100,000 have members who use Facebook
Facebook education demographics
- Almost three-quarters (74%) of adults with a college degree or more use Facebook
- 61% of adults with a high school diploma or less use Facebook
Facebook location demographics
Facebook’s global usage makes it a gamechanger for brands that want to build an international presence.
India currently represents the most extensive user base, with over 290 million people on the platform. Next is the United States, with nearly 190 million people on Facebook; Indonesia comes in third with 140 million.
According to MarketingCharts, Facebook is most commonly used by:
- Urban adults (73%)
- Suburban adults (69%)
- Rural adults (58%)
2020 is Instagram’s big 10-year anniversary; it’s celebrating over 1 billion users. It continues to expand its user base—with 37% of adults on the platform—and its popularity among teens continues to rise.
Instagram age and gender demographics
Gen Z and millennials are two of the largest user groups on Instagram:
- 67% of 18–29-year-olds use Instagram
- 47% of 30–49-year-olds use Instagram
- 23% of 50–64-year-olds use Instagram
- 8% of individuals ages 65 and older use Instagram
According to Pew Research, more U.S. women use Instagram than U.S. men; 43% of women say they use it versus 31% of men.
A survey by Statista indicated that 51% of global Instagram users are female, and 49% are male.
Instagram income demographics
Instagram users range from retail employees to Fortune 500 CEOs. Pew Research found that:
- 35% of households earning less than $30,000 have individuals who use Instagram
- 39% of households earning between $30,000 – $74,999 have individuals who use Instagram
- 42% of households earning over $75,000 have individuals who use Instagram
With a broad user range like this, whether you’re selling luxury products or affordable fashion, you’ll likely be able to find people interested in buying your wares on Instagram.
Instagram education demographics
- 33% of adults with a high school diploma or less use Instagram
- 37% of adults with some college education use Instagram
- 43% of adults with a college degree or more use Instagram
Instagram location demographics
- 46% of urban respondents use Instagram
- 34% of suburban respondents use Instagram
- 21% of rural respondents use Instagram
- United States: 130 million
- India: 100 million
- Brazil: 91 million
- Indonesia: 73 million
- Russia: 51 million
- Turkey: 42 million
- Japan: 35 million
- México: 29 million
- United Kingdom: 27 million
- Germany: 25 million
Created in 2006, the social media platform known for its “tweets” has a healthy 330 million monthly active users. According to Pew Research, it boasts slightly lower usage than the real behemoths (Facebook and Instagram) by adults in the U.S., with only 22% engaging with the platform.
U.S. Twitter age and gender demographics
- 44% of 18–24-year-olds use Twitter
- 31% of 25–29-year-olds use Twitter
- 26% of 30–49-year-olds use Twitter
- 17% of 50–64-year-olds use Twitter
- 7% of individuals ages 65 and older use Twitter
Twitter income demographics
- 20% of households earning less than $30,000 have individuals who use Twitter
- 20% of households earning between $30,000 – $74,999 have individuals who use Twitter
- 31% of households earning over $75,000 have individuals who use Twitter
Twitter education demographics
- 13% of adults with a high school diploma or less use Twitter
- 24% of adults with some college experience use Twitter
- 32% of adults with a college degree or more use Twitter
Twitter location demographics
- Urban 26%
- Suburban 22%
- Rural 13%
This social media platform has over 700 million users and is very business-oriented compared to other platforms, which are more social in nature. Unsurprisingly, LinkedIn is also the most popular social media platform amongst Fortune 500 companies. Nearly 27% of U.S. adults use it, according to Pew Research.
LinkedIn age and gender demographics
The percentage of men and women using LinkedIn is relatively equal: in the U.S., 29% of men and 24% of women use the platform.
Here’s how U.S. LinkedIn user groups break down by age:
- 17% of 18–24-year-olds use LinkedIn
- 44% of 25–29-year-olds use LinkedIn
- 37% of 30–49-year-olds use LinkedIn
- 24% of 50–64-year-olds use LinkedIn
- 11% of 65 individuals ages 65 and older use LinkedIn
LinkedIn income demographics
- 10% of households earning less than $30,000 have individuals who use LinkedIn
- 26% of households earning between $30,000 – $74,999 have individuals who use LinkedIn
- 49% of households earning over $75,000 have individuals who use LinkedIn
LinkedIn education demographics
- 9% of adults with a high school diploma or less use LinkedIn
- 26% of adults with some college experience use LinkedIn
- 51% of adults with a college degree or more use LinkedIn
LinkedIn location demographics
- Urban 33%
- Suburban 30%
- Rural 10%
Pinterest holds the social media platform record for reaching 10 million unique monthly visitors in the shortest amount of time. In a Pinterest consumer study, Pinterest Business found that 78% of study participants said content from brands helped them bring ideas to life. It’s a visual platform where users go to find creative, inspiring content and discover new products.
Pinterest age and gender demographics
Pinterest users skew heavily female, with over 42% of them using Pinterest compared to 15% of men.
- 38% of 18–24-year-olds use Pinterest
- 28% of 25–29-year-olds use Pinterest
- 35% of 30–49-year-olds use Pinterest
- 27% of 50–64-year-olds use Pinterest
- 15% of individuals ages 65 and older use Pinterest
Pinterest income demographics
- 18% of households earning less than $30,000 have members who use Pinterest
- 27% of households earning between $30,000 – $74,999 have members who use Pinterest
- 41% of households earning over $75,000 have members who use Pinterest
Pinterest education demographics
- 19% of adults with a high school diploma or less use Pinterest
- 32% of adults with some college experience use Pinterest
- 38% of adults with a college degree or more use Pinterest
Pinterest location demographics
- Urban 30%
- Suburban 30%
- Rural 26%
As of January 2020, Snapchat boasted 360 million active users, making it the 12th most used social media platform in the world. With 73% of 18–24-year-olds using it, brands looking to target younger users will greatly benefit from including Snapchat as part of their marketing strategy.
Snapchat age and gender demographic
24% of U.S. adults use Snapchat, and that number continues to grow.
According to Pew Research, user gender is split equally, with 24% of women and 24% of men on the platform. Here’s how U.S. Snapchat users break down by age:
- 73% of 18–24-year-olds use Snapchat
- 47% of 25–29-year-olds use Snapchat
- 25% of 30–49-year-olds use Snapchat
- 9% of 50–64-year-olds use Snapchat
- 3% of individuals ages 65 and older use Snapchat
Snapchat income demographics
- 27% of households earning less than $30,000 have members who use Snapchat
- 26% of households earning between $30,000 – $74,999 have members who use Snapchat
- 22% of households earning over $75,000 have members who use Snapchat
Snapchat education demographics
- 22% of adults with a high school diploma or less use Snapchat
- 29% of adults with some college experience use Snapchat
- 20% of adults with a college degree or more use Snapchat
Snapchat location demographics
- Urban 29%
- Suburban 20%
- Rural 20%
YouTube is the second most-visited website in the world. There are over 500 hours of fresh video uploaded every minute, and 73% of U.S. adults use the platform. Businesses use YouTube to post video content to reach customers with great success: 90% of people have discovered a new brand or product through the platform.
YouTube age and gender demographics
YouTube users skew slightly male :
- 78% of men use YouTube
- 68% of women use YouTube
Here’s the breakdown by age group:
- 90% of 18–24-year-olds use YouTube
- 93% of 25–29-year-olds use YouTube
- 87% of 30–49-year-olds use YouTube
- 70% of 50–64-year-olds use YouTube
- 38% of individuals ages 65 and older use YouTube
YouTube income demographics
- 68% of households earning less than $30,000 have members who use YouTube
- 75% of households earning between $30,000 – $74,999 have members who use YouTube
- 83% of households earning over $75,000 have members who use YouTube
YouTube education demographics
- 64% of adults with a high school diploma or less use YouTube
- 79% of adults with some college experience use YouTube
- 80% of adults with a college degree or more use YouTube
YouTube location demographics
- Urban 77%
- Suburban 74%
- Rural 64%
This China-based newbie launched in 2016. According to Wallaroo Media, it is currently available in over 150 countries, has over 1 billion users, and has been downloaded over 175 million times in the United States alone.
The popular platform has greater social media engagement rates per post than both Instagram and Twitter.
Distribution of TikTok users by age group in the United States as of June 2020:
TikTok age and gender demographics
According to Statista, female users in their teens accounted for 18.2% of TikTok’s active users. Female users ages 20 to 29 are the app’s largest user group in the United States. Given that data, it is unsurprising that 60% of the app’s users are female.
Internal data from March 2019 showed that its largest age demographic (42%) is the young adult crowd.
When combined, the 13–24-year-old segment represents 69% of the app’s user base.
Here’s the breakdown by age:
- Ages 13–17: 27%
- Ages 18–24: 42%
- Ages 25–34: 16%
- Ages 35–44: 8%
- Ages 45–54: 3%
- Ages 55+: 4%
TikTok location demographics
TikTok has exploded in popularity around the world, becoming the most downloaded app in 2020. But where has it been downloaded the most?
According to the company’s official figures released in 2019, over 430 million people use Reddit. The 430 million number marks a 30% year-over-year increase in users from 2018. It’s currently the sixth most popular social networking app in the United States.
Reddit age demographics
According to the latest statistics, Reddit is most popular among people ages 25 to 29. Here are how the demographics break down by age group:
- 21% of 18–24-year-olds use Reddit
- 23% of 25–29-year-olds use Reddit
- 14% of 30–49-year-olds use Reddit
- 6% of 50–64-year-olds use Reddit
- 1% of individuals ages 65 and older use Reddit
Reddit income demographics
- 9% of households earning less than $30,000 have individuals who use Reddit
- 10% of households earning between $30,000 – $74,999 have individuals who use Reddit
- 15% of households earning over $75,000 have individuals who use Reddit
Reddit education demographics
- 6% of adults with a high school diploma or less use Reddit
- 14% of adults with some college experience use Reddit
- 15% of adults with a college degree or more use Reddit
Reddit location demographics
- Urban 11%
- Suburban 13%
- Rural 8%
Building your social media audience
Marketers who want to succeed on social media should know where their target demographic spends their time online and the type of content they want to see. With several social media networks boasting diverse audiences, you can significantly improve your social media marketing efforts by using these networks’ troves of demographic information for targeting.
Armed with information on each platform’s demographics, you’re well-positioned to get out there and start connecting with potential customers so you can make more sales and grow your business.