How to Create and Run Profitable Facebook Messenger Ads
Imagine you have walked into a furniture store and are looking to purchase a new sectional. You go from one couch to the next and linger for a minute or two once you find one that is comfortable and within your price range. Soon, an employee walks up to you and asks if you have any questions.
Yeah, as a matter of fact, you do. You ask the employee all that you would like to know in order to make an educated decision.
Is there a warranty?
What is the best way to clean microfiber? (trick question)
Would the employee purchase the same couch if their family needed one?
Facebook messenger ads allow your customers to find the product they are interested in and gives them the benefit of having someone to answer their questions. This virtual customer service experience is advantageous for the customer and the employee.
If you’re looking to amplify your business’s Facebook ads then transitioning to Messenger ads is the next logical step. Consider this your guide to creating and mastering Facebook Messenger ads.
Facebook Messenger Facts
As with anything, it is important to know why implementing a new tool or practice in your business is important. Simply being told isn’t going to motivate you. Here are some facts that are pretty impressive about the use of messengers in general:
- 1.3 billion people use Facebook Messenger every month. (Yes, that’s with a ‘b’!)
- 1 in 2 people surveyed says they have visited a website to buy a product or service after seeing it in stories.
- 78% of people using smartphones will message monthly by the end of 2018.
Facebook Messenger ads certainly provide your business with an audience so that the recognition of your brand and sales can go up. Now that you have seen the stats let’s get started!
How to Create a Facebook Messenger Ad
If you have already set up Facebook ads in the past then you have some experience to draw from and you will be able to easily understand the messenger ad creation process.
Gather your team for a quick 101 tutorial and work your way down this list.
- Log in to Facebook Ads Manager
Once you are logged in to Ads manager take the following route to begin your new ads campaign:
Manage ads > Campaign > Create
- Name Your Ad Objective
Facebook will prompt you to choose your ad objective. Choose ‘Messages’. This will allow your ad to go through the messenger route. You may also choose more specific objectives that are listed. Just make sure that you mark messages as one of them.
Ads Manager will be asking you now to customize your audience, placements, budget, and schedule.
- Message Setup
Next, comes how you want your message to appear to customers. Choose “text only” or “text and image”. Write out your copy and then upload any images (if applicable). Be sure to review Facebook’s regulations on image and text size before you begin.
- Enable Quick Reply
Facebook offers the option to enable quick replies under “Customer Action”.
- Confirm and Publish Your Ad Campaign
Types of Facebook Messenger Ads
The two primary Facebook Messenger Ad campaigns are Click-to-Messenger Ads and Sponsored Messages. What is the difference between the two?
Defining the Two Ads
Click-to-Messenger Ads: This type of ad appears directly in a user’s Messenger. Because they can be retargeted, they are great for sending warm leads and reminder advertisements.
Sponsored Messages: These messages are your run-of-the-mill ads that present a call to action and allow for pop-up Messenger boxes for dialogue.
Before You Decide
There are a few noteworthy things to consider when you are choosing which campaign to go for.
- With Sponsored Messages, you will only be able to message people that have contacted your page in the past. This may be a huge limitation if your business is new. Sponsored messages also allow past and current customers (or those that have messaged you in the past to foster a relationship with your business).
- Click-to-Messages help your business to acquire leads and also provide customer support. Click-to-Messages may prove to come across as invasive to potential customers although that may not be true in all cases.
Facebook is happy to guide your business through the process. They provide step-by-step instructions for creating Sponsored Messages and click-to-Messages.
Which ad type will be best for your team and the goals that you have set for your business? Do you believe that one will be more profitable than the other?
What Makes a Profitable Facebook Messenger Ad?
Now, you know how to create a Facebook Messenger ad and your team has chosen Team Click-to-Messenger ads or Team Sponsored ads. We all know by now that just because an ad is designed doesn’t mean that it will generate a return. There has to be a strategy in place for any content to come full circle to its intended purpose.
Facebook Messenger Ads need to be strategized in order to meet your customers where they are and take your business to where it deserves to be.
We’ve compiled a list of ways to make sure that your Facebook Messenger Ads are going to be profitable.
- Use a Chatbot. Our Manychat team may be partial around here, but there are no apologies! Chatbots are an excellent way to engage customers! Chatbots can help personalize your customers’ experiences by engaging them, answering commonly asked questions, and providing helpful tips. The great thing is that chatbots are customizable and can meet your business wherever you are. If you’re confused about how chatbots can tie into Facebook Messenger ads or why it’s important in the first place, then please reach out today.
- Quick Response Time. Don’t let the ad do all the talking. Your response time to customers should be as tight as you can make it. Customers will be able to see your hours of operation so we aren’t rooting for you to respond 24/7. However, when your team is on the clock then the leads from those messenger ads need to be respected. Have a response time that is reasonable both for you and the customer.
- Display Your Response Time. Allow Facebook to display your average response time on your messenger. This will provide your business with the motivation to respond to customers in a timely manner. Your displayed response time will also give customers peace of mind and avoid unnecessary frustrations.
- Keywords. Make sure that your Facebook Messenger Ads have been optimized to their absolute best for SEO purposes. Make sure that your ads have been created with relevant keywords to your business and products.
- “Act Your Investment”. We all know the adage “act your age”. When it comes to advertising it can be tempting to dump the money into the creation and then slack on the implementation. Your business has invested money into your Facebook Messenger Ads. This is not the time to dump the money and run from your advertising efforts. Keep your team motivated to pour their efforts into ensuring the campaign is successful. Invest and then go invest in your customers. They deserve it.
We are going to end on a positive note. Your team can create Facebook Messenger Ads that are profitable! If you are worried that you don’t know what you are doing then that’s ok! You can find every single last step fully explained by the experts themselves—Facebook.
Check out their step-by-step process on building an ad and check back often since rules can change. Remember that your ads can help deepen relationships with existing customers and bring new ones.
Take time in the creative process and change your approach if ads seem to fall flat. We know that you know your customers better than anyone else. We’d love to partner with you in the process of serving them!