With the ManyChat and WhatsApp partnership that launched earlier this year, we feel we owe it to our users to help you reap all the benefits it provides, including new tools and features.
If you’re unfamiliar with this partnership, ManyChat and WhatsApp launched a beta program back in 2020 that evolved into a full-blown product offering in May 2022. Together, we help our users improve their ability to:
- Increase sales leads
- Capture customer information
- Offer excellent support to their clients
- Engage in unlimited inbound conversations
For more information about ManyChat’s WhatsApp Chat Marketing Automation, click the button below.
If you’re familiar with WhatsApp as a communication tool, you know it offers some benefits similar to those of Facebook Messenger. Recently, it’s started to compete with Instagram’s and Snapchat’s short video features as well. WhatsApp calls this tool the “WhatsApp status.”
What is WhatsApp status?
WhatsApp status is a tool that allows you to share a video, image, or GIF on your profile status for 24 hours. It’s similar to Snapchat and Instagram Stories, in that you have the same ability to share a temporary status, capturing an event or announcement for a limited period of time. After that, it disappears.
Status updates have a vast use case, letting people include memories or messages they want to save and share with others, or simply keep to enjoy later.
The only difference between WhatsApp, Instagram, and Snapchat is WhatsApp does not have a simple button that lets you save your status to your phone or profile. Once the 24 hours are up, the status is gone.
Until there’s an official solution to this, there are some tricks for working around it.
WhatsApp status background
At one time, status updates were simply a line of text on your profile that was, for the most part, ignored. Many users used a set-it-and-forget-it mentality, which left their status dormant for however long they chose. But now that statuses are more interactive and enjoyable, people are updating daily.
In fact, WhatsApp status is used daily by over 500 million users around the globe.
Creating a WhatsApp status
First, let’s walk through how to create a WhatsApp status.
- Open WhatsApp.
- Click on ”Status” in the top menu bar.
- Click on “My status.”
- Select a photo or video from your camera roll or take a new one by pressing the shutter button.
- Add in your caption.
- Press the send icon in the bottom right corner.
From here you can tap on the circle icon to view your status. Also, you can tap on the eye icon to see the names of people who have viewed your status.
Deleting a WhatsApp Status
Let’s say you made a mistake, posted the wrong image, or simply regret your post and want it removed. You can delete it without deleting your entire status. Just follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Go back to the Status tab on the top of your screen.
- Tap on the eye icon again, as if you want to view how many people have seen your status.
- Tap on the trash icon.
- Hit Delete to confirm.
Saving your WhatsApp status on Android
As we mentioned before, downloading a status is a bit more intricate than creating and deleting one, and the process is different for each type of phone.
- Go to the Google Play Store and download the Google Files app.
- Open the app and hit the menu button in the top left corner (this will be the three lines stacked on top of one another, also known as the hamburger icon).
- Tap on the internal storage option.
- Scroll down to the WhatsApp option.
- Tap on “Media.”
- Tap on “.Statuses.”
- You should be able to see all of your and your contacts’ statuses.
- Pick the status you want to save and tap on the “Copy to” option in the drop-down menu.
- The app will show you locations to store the status.
- The app will confirm the location to save the status when you select “Copy Here.”
Saving your WhatsApp Status on your iPhone
There doesn’t seem to be a very straightforward way of accomplishing a status download on iPhone devices. The Apple App Store doesn’t host the apps needed, so you have to get them offline, which can lead to viruses and malware if you’re not careful.
For these reasons, we can’t confidently recommend this approach, and ask that if you do try to use this back door for a status download, you do so at your own risk.
How businesses can use WhatsApp statuses
As with Stories on Instagram, statuses on WhatsApp can have some pretty impactful marketing influences. If your business actively uses WhatsApp for client communications, here are some ways you can utilize the status feature:
- Notify customers of sales and promotions: Have a big sale or promotion on the horizon? Use your status to share videos of your big release and build anticipation for the launch.
- Ask them to send you a message: Use your status to get them in a conversation with you. From here you can capture their information and retarget them later with your product suggestions.
- Promote your products and services: Show off your product and services through video and images. Take their experience past the product page and show them all that your brand has to offer.
Ready to get started with ManyChat and WhatsApp? Sign up below!